PHILIPSBURG— On Wednesday, September 24th the Readers are Leaders annual reading program will be re-launching at the Philipsburg Jubilee Library at 6pm under the theme “New Beginning”.
The Philipsburg Jubilee Library in collaboration with the Rotary Club of St. Martin Sunrise Club is recommencing its reading program aimed at all high school students. The main goal of the reading program is to encourage St Maarten’s teenagers to become avid readers.
High school students will be challenged to read at least one book per month and hand in book reports on seven or more books they have read. There will also be book quizzes and e-reading workshops on the program this year.
As an extra incentive to encourage participants to continue reading, prizes will be awarded. Prizes for the winning participants will include a number of electronic devices such as a laptop, iPod, iPad, and free internet hours at the library.
In order to qualify to win the reading competition participating students will have to:
- Read a minimum of seven (7) books which are part of the school’s English Language curriculum or books from the Readers are Leaders’ Book list. This has to be done before the month of March (“Literacy Month”)
- Participate in discussions on the Readers are Leaders FaceBook page.
- Participate in at least one (1) of the following extra curricula reading activities:
- Being a member of the Readers Are Leaders Board
- Participating in a Reading or Book Club at school
- Reading or assisting children with reading at an afterschool program
- Tutoring fellow classmates or others for the subject of English
- Participating in the Poetry Evening or Black History Month Program (development of original poems, stories, skits)
- Participating in book quiz competitions
- Read e-books
The reading campaign will end with a closing party celebrating the achievements of all participating students in March 2015.