SINT MAARTEN/THE NETHERLANDS – Police have arrested a 19-year-old man from Hilversum for his role in two violent attacks on people holidaying on the island of Majorca last month.
The man is suspected of kicking two people in the head, but not the 27-year-old man who died in hospital of his injuries, the public prosecution department said in a statement.
Both events were captured on camera and the teenager will appear in court for a remand hearing on Friday, the department said. He faces two charges of attempted manslaughter, based on the results of both the Spanish and the Dutch investigation.
According to the AD, the first arrestee is Sanil B, whose father has confirmed to the paper his son has been picked up but that he denies being close to the scene of the ‘drama’.
A number of Dutch youngsters aged 18 to 20, who were holidaying together in Majorca are potentially involved in a string of attacks. They all come from the wealthy Gooi region of the Netherlands.
So far, 11 Dutch nationals have given witness statements and eight of them have also reported being attacked by the gang.
The police are appealing for other witnesses to come forward. ‘We still need the help of witnesses to clarify exactly what happened, and this is particularly true of the violence directed at the man who died,’ the prosecution department said.
Carlo Heuvelman, 27, from Waddinxveen died in hospital four days after being attacked on the boulevard of the holiday island on July 14.
However, the video footage circulating online which shows someone being violently kicked is not Heuvelman, the public prosecution department said. Spanish authorities identified 13 potential suspects, but 12 of them had left the country by the time police visited their holiday accommodation in Palma.
The 13th was released after officers decided he did not play a major role in the incident.